McCloskey, D. (1985), “Economical writing”. Economic Inquiry, 23: 187–222, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-7295.1985.tb01761.x/abstract
Hamermesh, D.S. (1992): “The young economist’s guide to professional etiquette”, Journal of Economic Perspective, 6(1), pp. 169-179, https://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/jep.6.1.169
Kristin Sainani “Writing in the Sciences”
Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association
Writing mathematical relations and models
Thomson, W. (1999): “The young person’s guide to writing economic theory”, Journal of Economic Literature, 37(1), pp.157-183, https://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/jel.37.1.157
Varian, H.R. (1997): “How to build an economic model in your spare time”, http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~hal/Papers/how.pdf
Issue 1: Procrastination
Pomodoro technique: 20mn work, 10 mn relaxing, 20mn work, …
Issue 2: Inefficiency
Mostly because one does not know where one’s time goes
Records the time spent on the computer by software category
Issue 3: Discouragement
To record what you did, not what you need to get done.
Issue 4: Forgetting
You might feel that you included all that was required in your paper, but think again!
Swan – Scientific Writing Assistant http://cs.uef.fi/swan/
Issue 6: Organization
Issue 7: Revisions
The issue is people becoming too attached to their paper
A good and fun way to destroy and re-construct a paper is to print it, cut it, and paste it back, for real!
Choosing an outlet
- Top journals vs Field journals
- There are many ranking lists:
- http://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php?area=2000 (for economics, econometrics and finance)
- http://www.harzing.com/jql.htm (Journal quality list for Economics, Finance, Accounting, Management, and Marketing)
- http://tool.handelsblatt.com/tabelle/?id=33 (Handelsblatt)
- https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=top_venues&hl=en&vq=bus (Google Scholar)
- Your university will also probably have its own ranking list
- Look into what journals your adviser published in, what journals people you cite published in.