Competence Centre for Behavioural Insights
Joint Research Centre, European Commission
1 Personal data
|Name, Title||Dr. habil. Alexia Gaudeul|
|Address||21, rue du Champ de Marsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|1050 Brussels, Belgium||Website||https://agaudeul.wordpress.com|
I am an experimental economist with a background in industrial organization and current interest in behavioral change.
I research imperfect competition, market transparency, consumer behavior and privacy. My research is varied but applies mainly to the economics of the Internet, such as intermediation, social network formation, open-source software development and privacy concerns. I am now working on the willingness to follow expert advice, the use of robo-advisers in financial trading and the sources of ethical concerns in managerial decisions.
I worked as a lecturer and as a researcher in the UK, France and Germany. I teach the Role of Experts in Contemporary Society, the Economics of the Internet, Behavioral Game Theory, Industrial Organization, Microeconomics and Scientific Writing.
|02/2020||Qualification as University Professor, Section 5 (Economics) of the National University Council, France.|
|01/2019||Habilitation in Economics, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena, Germany.|
|Topic: Consumption, social networking and collaboration on the Internet.|
|Reviewers: Uwe Cantner, Oliver Kirchkamp, Robert Sugden.|
|12/2003||PhD in Economics, with highest honours and congratulations of the jury. University of Toulouse, France.|
|Topic: Information Economics and Internet|
|Thesis advisors: Bruno Jullien and Jacques Crémer.|
|06/1999||MSc Mathematical Economics and Econometrics (DEA), with honors, University of Toulouse, France.|
|06/1998||MSc Management, with specialization in Finance, HEC School of Management, Paris, France.|
|06/1991||Baccalauréat C (Mathematics and Physics), with highest honours. Französisches Gymnasium, Berlin, Germany.|
|since 09/2021||Policy Analyst, Competence Centre for Behavioural Insights, Joint Research Centre, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.|
|07/2018 – 03/2021||Post Doctoral Researcher, Chair of Behavioral Development Economics, University of Göttingen, Germany.|
|10/2015 – 06/2018||Post Doctoral Researcher, Chair of Microeconomics, University of Göttingen, Germany|
|02/2014 – 09/2015||Post Doctoral Researcher, Graduate School “Economics of Innovative Change”, University of Jena, Germany.|
|06/2012 – 01/2014||Research Associate, Strategic Interaction Group, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Jena, Germany.|
|06/2009 – 05/2012||Post Doctoral Researcher, Graduate School “Behaviour in Social Change”, University of Jena, Germany.|
|09/2004 – 05/2009||Lecturer, School of Economics, and Faculty Member, ESRC Research Centre for Competition Policy, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK.|
|09/2003 – 08/2004||Marie Curie Research Fellow, School of Economics, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.|
5 Research output
Revise and resubmits
- Gaudeul A. P. Crosetto (2019). Fast then slow: A choice process explanation for the attraction effect, GAEL Working Papers 2019-06. https://ideas.repec.org/p/gbl/wpaper/2019-06.html R&R at Management Science.
- Gaudeul, A., Keser, C., & Müller, S. (2021). The coevolution of morals under indirect reciprocity, Games and Economic Behavior, online in advance of print, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geb.2021.01.004
- Frik, A. and A. Gaudeul (2020): A measure of the implicit value of privacy under risk, Journal of Consumer Marketing, 37(4), pp. 457-472. https://doi.org/10.1108/JCM-06-2019-3286
- Gaudeul, A. and M.C. Kaczmarek (2019): Going along with the default does not mean going on with it: Attrition in a charity giving experiment, Behavioural Public Policy, pp. 1-32. https://doi.org/10.1017/bpp.2019.3
- Crosetto, P. and A. Gaudeul (2017): Choosing not to compete: Can firms maintain high prices by confusing consumers?, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 26(4), pp. 897-922. https://doi.org/10.1111/jems.12212
- Gaudeul, A., and C. Giannetti (2017): The effect of privacy concerns on social network formation, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 141, pp. 233-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2017.07.007
- Gaudeul A., Crosetto P. and G. Riener (2017): Better stuck together or free to go? Of the stability of cooperation when individuals have outside options, Journal of Economic Psychology, 59, pp. 99-112. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joep.2017.01.005
- Crosetto P. and A. Gaudeul (2016): A monetary measure of the strength and robustness of the attraction effect, Economics Letters, 149, pp. 38-43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2016.09.031
- Gaudeul A. and C. Giannetti (2013): The role of reciprocation in social network formation, with an application to LiveJournal, Social Networks, 35(3), pp. 317-330. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2013.03.003
- Gaudeul A. and R. Sugden (2012): Spurious complexity and common standards in markets for consumer goods, Economica, 79(314), pp. 209-225. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0335.2011.00895.x
- Gaudeul A. and C. Peroni (2010): Reciprocal attention and norm of reciprocity in blogging networks, Economics Bulletin, 30(3), pp. 2230-2248. http://ideas.repec.org/a/ebl/ecbull/eb-10-00198.html
- Gaudeul A. (2010): Software marketing on the Internet: the use of samples and repositories, Economics of Innovation and New Technologies, 19(3), pp. 259-281. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10438590802472572
- Gaudeul A. (2008): Consumer welfare and market structure in a model of competition between open source and proprietary software, International Journal of Open Source Software and Processes, 1(2), pp. 43-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/jossp.2009040104
- Gaudeul A. (2007): Do open source developers respond to competition? The LaTeX case study, Review of Network Economics, 6(2), pp. 239-263. http://dx.doi.org/10.2202/1446-9022.1119
- Gaudeul, A. and C. Giannetti (2021): Fostering the adoption of robo-advisors: A 3-weeks online stock-trading experiment, Pisa Discussion Papers 2021/275. https://ideas.repec.org/p/pie/dsedps/2021-275.html
- Gaudeul, A. and C. Keser (2017): The social preferences of democratic leaders and the conflict between wealth generation and distribution, CIRANO Working Papers 2017s-25. https://ideas.repec.org/p/cir/cirwor/2017s-25.html
- Gaudeul A. (2016): Social preferences under risk: Minimizing collective risk vs. reducing ex-post inequality, CEGE Discussion Paper No. 283. https://ideas.repec.org/p/zbw/cegedp/283.html
- Gaudeul, A., Okvitawanli, A. and M. Panganiban (2015): Does the gender mix among employers influence who gets hired? A labor market experiment, Jena Economic Research Papers 2015-007. https://ideas.repec.org/p/jrp/jrpwrp/2015-007.html
- Crosetto, P. and A. Gaudeul (2011): Do consumers prefer offers that are easy to compare? An experimental investigation, Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-44, https://ideas.repec.org/p/jrp/jrpwrp/2011-044.html
Work in progress
- Gaudeul A., K. Gangl, O. Kirchkamp & L. Kulke: Ethical feedback, moral emotions and sharing in the dictator game. Experiment run in 2021, 450 participants.
- Gaudeul A.: Overconfidence and the willingness to pay for advice. Experiment run in September 2019, 1200 participants.
- Gaudeul A. & M. Ibanez: Differences in attitudes to redistribution among the rich and among the poor. Experiment run in June 2019, 1200 participants.
- Blankenberg A-K., P. Crosetto and A. Gaudeul: Copyright, identity and sharing rules in an innovation game. Experiment run in October-November 2018, 440 participants.
- Bruns, H. and Gaudeul, A., Nudging for bad The case of cookie consent banners, European Commission, Brussels, 2021, JRC127856. https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC127856
Chapters in books (with refereeing process)
- Gaudeul A., C. Peroni and L. Mathieu (2012): Blogs and the economics of reciprocal attention, in Internet Econometrics, S. Allegrezza and A. Dubrocard Eds., Applied Econometrics Association Series, Palgrave MacMillan. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1291376
- Gaudeul A. and B. Jullien (2007): E-commerce, two-sided markets and info-mediation, in Internet and Digital Economics, E. Brousseau et N. Curien Eds., Cambridge University Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511493201.009
Editorship of special issues
- Cerqueira, P., Gaudeul, A., Martínez-Zarzoso, I., & S. Mueller. (2021). Introduction to the INFER-2018 special issue on applied macroeconomic policies in open economies. Economic Modelling, 94, 430–432. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2020.10.017
- Keser, C. and A. Gaudeul (2016), Foreword: Special Issue in Honor of Reinhard Selten’s 85th Birthday. German Economic Review, 17: 277–283. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/geer.12106
Research funding and grants:
- Principal investigator in a € 12 000 Grant from the Diligentia Foundation for research on “Social emotions in price setting” (with Katharina Gangl, Oliver Kirchkamp and Louisa Kulke).
- Co-Investigator in a € 220 000 grant from the French National Research Agency for research on “Social interactions, social norms and sustainable food consumption” (led by Sabrina Teyssier).
- 2018: Co-Investigator in a € 10 000 Grant from the ING Think Forward Initiative for research on “The use of robo-advisers as a commitment device” (with Caterina Giannetti).
- 2009-2019: Internal resources (University of Göttingen, University of Jena and MPI Economics Jena).
- 2003-2009: ESRC Centre for Competition Policy grants for research leave and research assistance in the UK.
- 1999-2003: CNRS grant for research on open source development (LaTeX case study), including for trips to attend conferences and interview developers.
Other academic activities
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Journal of Political Science, Economics Bulletin, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, German Economic Review, Information Economics and Policy, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Organization Science, Oxford Economic Papers, Rand Journal of Economics, Review of Network Economics, Revue d’Economie Industrielle, Revue Française d’Economie, Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
- Economic Science Association (ESA).
- Verein für Socialpolitik (VfS).
- Sozialwissenschaftlicher Ausschuss des Vereins für Socialpolitik (Social Sciences Committee of the German Economic Association).
- French Economic Association (AFSE)
- University of Grenoble (Paolo Crosetto, 2016, 2017, 2018),
- University of Pisa (Caterina Giannetti, 2017, 2019, 2020),
- University of Siegen (Alena Otto, 2014),
- University of Rennes (Eric Darmon, 2014),
- University of Bologna (Caterina Giannetti, 2013).
6 Research dissemination
- 2021: CEE-M, University of Montpellier, France, French Experimental TalkS (FETS), University of East Anglia, UK
- 2020: University EAFIT, Medellín, Colombia; University of Pisa, Italy
- 2019: University of Kassel, Germany; University of Passau, Germany, University of Neuchâtel, Switzerland.
- 2018: GATE-CNRS, University of Lyon, France; GREDEG-CNRS, Université of Nice Sophia Antipolis, France.
- 2017: University of Pisa, Italy.
- 2016: GAEL-INRA, University of Grenoble, France; University of Kassel, Germany.
- 2015: University of Stirling, UK.
- 2014: CREM-CNRS, University of Rennes, France; Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Goethe-Universität Frankfurt (Germany).
- 2013: University of Göttingen, Germany.
- 2008: University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
- 2005: GAEL-INRA, University of Grenoble, France.
Invited conferences and workshops
- 2021: Workshop on Attention in Decision Making (Lund, Sweden)
- 2018: Workshop on Choice-Process Data in Experimental Economics (Antigua, Guatemala)
- 2017: Workshop on Recent Advances in the Economics of Philanthropy, WZB, (Berlin, Germany)
- 2015: 13th ZEW Conference on The Economics of Information and Communication Technologies (Mannheim, Germany).
- 2010: CREM-Economix Workshop on Digital Business Models: Understanding Strategies (Paris, France).
- 2009: Fifth bi-annual conference on The Economics of the Software and Internet Industries (Toulouse, France).
- 2005: Third bi-annual conference on The Economics of the Software and Internet Industries (Toulouse, France).
Other conferences and workshops
- 2021: 37èmes Journées de Microéconomie Appliquée (online), 69th Congress of the Association Française de Science Economique (online), Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (Frankfurt)
- 2020: Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (online), ESA World Meeting (online).
- 2019: Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (Essen), 12th Maastricht Behavioral and Experimental Economics Symposium (M-BEES) (Maastricht, Netherland), 10th International Conference of the French Association of Experimental Economics (Toulouse, France), VfS Jahrestagung (Leipzig).
- 2018: Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (Essen), ESA World Meeting (Berlin), 20th Annual INFER conference (Göttingen).
- 2017: ESA European Meeting 2017 (Vienna, Austria), GfEW Jahrestagung 2017 (Kassel), Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (Göttingen).
- 2016: ESA World Meeting (Jerusalem, Israel), VfS Jahrestagung (Augsburg), 43d Annual Conference of the European Association for Research in Industrial Economics (Lisbon, Portugal), Jahrestagung des Sozialwissenschaftlichen Ausschusses im Verein für Socialpolitik (Göttingen).
- 2015: ESA European Meeting (Heidelberg), 8th Maastricht Behavioral and Experimental Economics Symposium (M-BEES) (Maastricht, Netherland).
- 2014: ESA European Meeting (Prague, Czechia), 3d Workshop on “Industrial Organization: Theory, Empirics and Experiments” (Alberobello, Italy), 15th Conference of the International Joseph A. Schumpeter Society (Jena).
- 2012: 27th Annual Congress of the European Economic Association (Málaga, Spain), 13th Annual Conference of the Association for Public Economic Theory (Taipei, Taiwan), 8th Annual Competition & Regulation Meeting: “Behavioral Competition and Regulation”, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics (Amsterdam, The Netherlands).
- 2011: 38th Annual Conference of the European Association for Research in Industrial Economics (Stockholm, Sweden), North American Summer Meeting of the Econometric Society (St Louis, USA).
- 2009: 24th Annual Congress of the European Economic Association (Barcelona, Spain), Annual Conference of the Royal Economic Society (Surrey, UK),
- 2008: 35th Annual Conference of the European Association for Research in Industrial Economics (Toulouse, France), 2d FLOSS Workshop: “Open models and Cooperation within Online Communities” (Rennes, France).
- 2007: 3d International Conference on Open Source Systems (Limerick, Ireland), 1st FLOSS Workshop: “From Social Networks to Economic and Legal Models” (Nice, France).
- 2005: 20th Annual Congress of the European Economic Association (Amsterdam, Netherland), 1st GAEL Workshop on Industrial Organization and Innovation (Grenoble, France).
- 2004: 19th Annual Congress of the European Economic Association (Madrid, Spain), Workshop on ‘Internet Economics’ at the Ecole Nationale des Arts et Métiers (Paris, France), Autour du Libre: Produire et diffuser les savoirs at the ENST Bretagne (Brest, France).
Dissemination to the public and to professionals
- Blog at https://agaudeul.wordpress.com.
- 2017-2018: Presentation and hands-on experiments for the Girls’ Day in Göttingen.
- 2017: Presentation and hands-on experiments at the Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften in Göttingen.
- 2014: Winner of the Fourth Jena Science Slam in Jena: “Why is shopping such a baffling ordeal, and what can you do about it?” Online at https://www.db-thueringen.de/receive/dbt_mods_00034706.
- 2011, 2013: Presentations and hands-on experiments at the Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften in Jena.
- 2007: Lecture on two-sided markets at the Office of Fair Trading (London, UK).
Teaching for Masters and Bachelors
|2020||The Problem with Experts||6||x||MA||English||GAU Göttingen and FSU Jena|
|2020||Empirical and Experimental Industrial Organization||6||x||MA||English||”|
|2019-2021||Advanced Microeconomics||3||x||x||MA||English||Georg-August-Universität, Göttingen|
|2019||Empirical Applications of Game Theory||6||x||MA||English||Georg-August-Universität, Göttingen|
|2017 & 2018||Behavioral Game Theory||6||x||x||MA||English||”|
|2016||Behavioral Industrial Organization||6||x||MA||English||Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena|
|2014||Principles of Scientific Writing||3||PhD||English||”|
|2010||Empirical Work in the Social Sciences||3||PhD||English||”|
|2007 to 2009||Corporate Strategy||6||x||BA||English||University of East Anglia, Norwich|
|2006 to 2008||Topics in Economic Analysis||3||x||x||BA||English||”|
|2004 to 2008||Microeconomics||6||x||MA||English||”|
|2004 to 2007||Industrial Organisation||6||x||MA, BA||English||”|
Qualification in teaching
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Practice, University of East Anglia (Norwich, UK, 2009).
- Venia Legendi (German license to teach), University of Jena (2019)
Summer schools and professional workshops
- 2011: Summer Institute on Bounded Rationality, Max Planck Institute for Human Development (Berlin, Germany).
- 2009: IMPRS Summer School, Max Planck Institute for Economics (Jena, Germany).
- 2008: Cemmap workshop on Longitudinal / Panel Data Analysis (London, UK).
- 2007: New Lecturers’ Workshop (Bristol, UK, 2007).
- 2006: Royal Economic Society Easter School (Birmingham, UK).
8 Administrative responsibilities
- 2018-2020: Member of the Council of the Faculty of Economics, Georg-August-Universität, Göttingen.
- 2010-2012: Supervision and allocation of the GSBC Student Research Assistants, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena .
- 2004 – 2009: Organization of the Economics Seminars, University of East Anglia, Norwich .
- 2006 – 2007: Senior Adviser and Plagiarism Officer, School of Economics, University of East Anglia, Norwich.
- Recruitment, support and advising of of PhD students at the chair of Microeconomics, at the chair of Behavioral Development Economics and at the GLAD (DFG RTG 1723) at the University of Göttingen.
- Supervision of master theses (2 per year)
- 2009-2015: Support and advising of PhD students at the GSBC and at the EIC (DFG RTG 1411) at the University of Jena.
- 2010-2015: Supervision of experimental group work, Summer Schools of the IMPRS, Max Planck Institute for Economics, Jena
- 20th INFER Annual Conference (2018).
- 4th International Workshop on Free/Libre/Open Source Software (2010).
- Guest editor for the special issue of Economic Modelling on “Current Challenges in Microeconomic Analysis and International Economics Modelling”.
- Co-editor for the special issue of the German Economic Review in Honor of Reinhard Selten’s 85th Birthday.
French (native), English (fluent), German (advanced).
- Text editing: LaTeX
- Data analysis: Stata, R
- Data collection: z-Tree, o-Tree, Screen-Scraper, KoboToolBox